Crock pot has definitely made cooking for dinner easier especially for busy housewives who only want to prepare a healthy and sumptuous dinner for the family in spite of a hectic schedule. Having found a place in modern kitchens, this can be left unattended for hours at a time while away attending to other tasks and can be back with a warm meal waiting. One dish that is best cooked in a crock pot is meatloaf.
There are different versions of how to cook them and I have one version of my own from the basic and just added some twist by using some other additional ingredients. I usually cook this on special occasions but with a slow cooker around you can have it as long as you want. Before sharing with you a recipe, I’d like to share some helpful tips in cooking meat loaf in a crock pot too.
- Select cheaper cuts of meat as this works best with crock pot cooking because it has less fat contents and the long and slow cooking makes the meat very tender. And since its is cheaper, definitely it can help stretch the budget.
- Just fill the crock pot with ½ or full to cook the food properly.
- To remove the meat loaf easily when done, make a foil handle that is about 24 inches long that is folded lengthwise. Place at the bottom of the crock pot with ends hanging on the top edge.
- Line the bottom of a crock pot with a cooking bag sprayed with a cooking spray inside to make cleaning easy if it has no removable liner. If possible, buy it with a removable liner.
- 1 lb ground pork
- ¾ cup bread crumbs
- ½ cup finely chopped carrots
- 6 tbsp. minced green and red bell pepper
- ¼ cup onions, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup sweet pickle relish
- ¼ cup raisins
- 3 whole eggs
- ½ cup grated cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons catsup
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- dash of liquid seasoning
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 3 hard-cooked eggs, quartered
- aluminum foil
How to make the meat loaf:
Mix all the ingredients in a mixing bowl thoroughly except the hard-cooked eggs.
Divide into portions of your desire. Place a portion on a piece of aluminum foil, flatten and place the hard-cooked eggs at the center and cover with half of the mixture and roll to tightly shape into logs. Pat edges to seal. Do the same with the rest of the portions. ( It is advisable that size of the loaf fits the crock pot with enough space for air to ensure proper cooking).
Place the loaf in a crock pot. ( Place crumpled foil at the bottom of the pot to keep the loaf out of the fat drippings).
Cover with the lid and cook the meat loaf to low for 8 hours.
Let it cool, slice into rings and serve with catsup or mayonnaise for a dip or any of your favorite food sauce.
Makes 4 – 6 servings
This can be served as cold cuts or slightly fry before slicing into rings. Eat together with freshly cooked rice for a perfect meal.
Refrigerate extra meat loaf and get back to it when you feel some cravings for it again.